For over 100 years it held 2 million gallons of water. Now it holds you…
Step inside the cave-like vaults of Toxteth Reservoir for a 40-minute ‘walk on water’. Through dark chambers and between towering iron arches, water surrounds, floods and falls around you, both beautiful and terrifying. The sights, sounds and wonder of an ice cave, a tropical rainforest and monsoons unfold before you. But as you find yourself on an island, are you safe or are you trapped? Because when we understand that water is more precious than oil or gold, we view everything differently.
Created by internationally renowned artists Invisible Flock, Aurora is an experience like no other. State of the art interactive technologies, soundscapes, lasers and ice sculptures captivate the beauty and power of water, set within the cavernous walls and cloisters of this Victorian landmark building.
Toxteth Reservoir, a brick fortress perched on the top of Liverpool’s High Park Street and the size of half a football pitch, was one of the first in the world to use cutting edge Victorian engineering to preserve fresh water for Liverpool’s growing population. In this powerfully immersive experience, the history, mystery and beauty of one of Liverpool’s hidden gems is reimagined for the 21st century.
Aurora is commissioned by FACT (Foundation for Art & Creative Technology), in partnership with Liverpool City Council, Invisible Flock and Dingle 2000. Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England, and British Council.
This event is suitable for children 5 and over.
Terms & Conditions of Sale
- There is no refund on tickets once purchased.
- Exchanges are not normally possible but may be allowed under exceptional circumstances.
- Latecomers will not be admitted but we may be able to accommodate you at a different performance, subject to availability.
- FACT reserve the right to amend the programme without prior notice.
- We reserve the right to refuse admission.
- Mobile phones must be switched off within the reservoir.
- The use of cameras or recording equipment is forbidden..
- Duration: 40 minutes no interval
- Aurora is a site specific installation and takes place in a damp, derelict Victorian reservoir. All efforts have been made to create an accessible environment however, if you have limited mobility or any other concerns regarding the environment please contact... 0344 335 0437.
- Warm, waterproof clothing and flat shoes are advised
- This immersive experience contains moments of complete darkness and lasers will be used therefore it is not suitable for people with conditions such as epilepsy or claustrophobia